November 28, 2023




As if being a stray dog wasn’t already a tough enough situation, this one in particular had a family before being dumped at a beach in Newport, California. He was lugging an extra 46 pounds around due to a tumor developing on his side, which made problems worse. The dog, now known as Henry, was fortunately seen strolling the beach by a kind stranger who alerted Valerie Schomburg of Newport Beach Animal Control. Nothing could have prepared the NBAC rescuers for Henry’s appearance, even though they were accustomed to picking up strays in poor condition.

He was unable to walk since the tumor was pressing against his right front leg near his shoulder due to its size. He had problems traveling around as well as finding meals. Henry still had a zest for life despite all of the challenges he had faced in such a short time. He adored everyone he met and was perpetually cheerful and wagging his tail. Anyone who got close enough to Henry would get a kiss from him.

Thankfully, Schomburg was able to gather enough money, with the help of grants, for Henry to have surgery to remove the giant tumor. Despite the fact that the tumor was cancerous, it did not spread.

The surgery was a success and Henry literally had a huge weight lifted off his shoulders. He weighed 78 pounds after the tumor was removed and could finally walk around with ease. He went to live with a loving foster through the Newport Beach Animal Shelter after his surgery and happily made up for lost time After the media covered his story, Henry rose to local fame and now has fans all around the world. People brought him presents and snacks from all over the world to show their appreciation for being moved by his story. Henry passed away gently while resting, but not before making the most of his time here and experiencing love for the first time. His infectious smile and continuous tail-wag were signs of his unbridled enthusiasm for life.
Although his passing is sad news, some good news has come out of this. They were able to locate Henry’s previous owner after conducting additional research. The OC District Attorney’s Office has charged her, and her criminal case is still pending